As people get older, like other physical aspects of life, sex lives often slow down.
“Most couples want a healthy sex life because it makes them feel good about themselves physically and mentally,” says Ellen Kamhi, clinical instructor of pharmacology at Stony Brook School of Medicine in New York. “A couple who enjoys a fulfilling sex life usually enjoys a strong relationship. Unfortunately, as couple age, their sex drive can ebb to the point where they lose interest. But it doesn’t have to be that way.”
Low libido is surprising commonly – and not only among older people. Between 40 and 50 percent of U.S. women and 20-25 percent of U.S. men have a low sex drive, according to a recent study.
“This can be due to stress, anxiety, or depression,” Kamhi tells Newsmax Health. “Other factors include low self-esteem, unresolved conflicts, menopause, physical problems, or fatigue.”
While there are many methods to help restore sex drive, certain foods have been found to boost libido naturally, says Kamhi.
ALERT: Frankenfoods, Protect Yourself From the Hidden Dangers Now
1. Pomegranate juice. New research shows that this tasty and healthy beverage that’s loaded with antioxidants also reduces the risk of erectile dysfunction.
2. Oatmeal. Besides lowering cholesterol, a bowl of oatmeal daily helps produce a chemical that releases testosterone, which helps increase sex drive.
3. Honey. The B vitamins in honey support testosterone production. Honey is also high in the mineral boron, which helps women’s bodies process estrogen, a function that is important for arousal.
4. Eggs. Eggs are high in vitamins B5 and B6, which help libido by balancing hormone levels and fighting stress.
5. Bananas. Bananas contain an enzyme called bromelain which may help increase libido and has been shown to reverse impotence in men.
6. Celery. This vegetable contains androsterone, a hormone released in men’s sweat that’s said to be a pheromone that arouses women.
“It’s a myth to think that intimacy necessarily wanes as we get older,” says Kamhi. “Studies have shown that healthy people can enjoy an active sex life into their 70s and beyond.”
© 2014 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.