Attention deficit disorder (ADHD) is present in many children. Children with ADHD exhibit hyperactivity, impulsiveness, and problems in concentrating.
Drugs and medication are prescribed for children with attention deficit disorder, if the symptoms of ADHD are present for at least six months. In different children with attention deficit disorder (ADHD), different medicines work better.
Drugs and medication used for attention deficit disorder (ADHD) treatment in children
Different drugs and medicines are prescribed to treat attention deficit disorder (ADHD) in children. They include:
These drugs generally act as stimulants in increasing activity and reducing response time. However, in children with attention deficit disorder, these drugs work in the exact opposite manner.
These medicines are effective in children with ADHD because they make the children feel more focused, less impulsive, and feel calmer.
Some of the side effects of the drugs and medication used in treating attention deficit disorder (ADHD) in children include the following:
- The medicines taken for attention deficit disorder, may make them feel restless and jittery
- These drugs for ADHD can cause loss of appetite
- The medication for ADHD can also cause irritability
- Mood swings and depression are other possible side effects of ADHD medicines
- Stomach upset may also be caused by drugs taken for attention deficit disorder
- Increase in heart rate is also caused by the medicines prescribed to treat attention deficit disorder in children
Implications of drugs used for treating Attention deficit disorder (ADHD)
- The effect of ADHD medication on the developing brain is yet to be researched fully since it is prescribed to young children who are in their development and formation years.
- Cardiac evaluation prior to start of treatment is very essential to ensure that children do not face sudden cardiac problems and failures due to the medication and drugs prescribed for ADHD.
- Psychiatric problems may be triggered in some children as a result of taking drugs for attention deficit disorder treatment.
- Children also tend to abuse medicines available for attention deficit disorder treatment as stimulant medication, to pull all-nighter and also for weight loss.
While it is true that the medication prescribed for ADHD may help improve the concentration levels and control impulses, they do not fix all the child’s problems. Particularly, it should be borne in mind that medication can only relieve symptoms of attention deficit disorder and they are not treatment options. Since each person reacts differently to the drugs and medicines, ADHD treatments should be carefully monitored. Otherwise, it could prove risky.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.