A Hawaii woman went in for routine dental work this week, but never woke up from the procedure, Fox News
Kristen Tavares, 23, was to have four wisdom teeth removed on Monday. But during the procedure "she went into cardiac arrest and they had to use a defibrillator and shocked her, stunned her heart," her boyfriend told Hawaii News Now.
The mother of a three-month-old baby and a son, 4, is now in a coma, and a CT scan reportedly shows some swelling in the brain.
What went wrong still remains a mystery. "Statistically it's usually an airway issue," said a doctor not related to Tavares' care. "Perhaps a foreign body drops into the airway like a tooth, or a piece of gauze or perhaps the patient might vomit and get fluid up their airway and then down into their lungs. That's why we have them don't eat or drink before a general anesthetic or any anesthetic."
Cosmetic surgeon John Stover treated Tavares; he has both medical and dental licenses, and is currently in good standing, according to a review of state medical records, Hawaii News Now reported.