Want to bring a little good cheer into a friend's life for various occasions scattered over the New Year? (Not a bad resolution.) Here's our list of nine mini-gifts that will make everyone healthier and happier (including you, because giving is a great feeling).
1. A half-pound of walnuts. Eating 12 halves daily may increase lifespan 20 percent! And munching six halves 30 minutes before mealtime is an effective way to control appetite.
2. A half-pound of (70 percent cacao) chocolate. One ounce daily may cut heart attack and stroke risk 30 percent while preventing some cancers. And, oh yeah, it tastes great!
3. A pound of coffee (320 ounces of java).. Your daily dose (three cups) can cut stroke risk by 30 percent and may help prevent some cancers, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease and Type 2 diabetes.
4. One bottle of wine. Provides 5-7 glasses; one-a-day for women, two for men. Boosts good HDL and reduces lousy LDL, keeping everything from the brain to sexual functions up and running.
5. Garlic goodies. Garlic-infused olive oil and a garlic press deliver an immune-boosting, heart-healthy flavor!
6. Jump rope, pedometer and exercise bands. Nothing relieves stress, lowers heart disease risk and protects against diabetes like exercise; cool "toys" are a great incentive to get going!
7. Lavender aromatherapy oil. Give the gift of sleep; sniff the scent for 20 minutes before bedtime. Then, sweet dreams!
8. Thank-you notes. Expressing gratitude improves everyone's happiness quotient.
9. Our newly revised "YOU: The Owner's Manual" (also available at the library). Your friends can discover all our secrets for a long, happy, healthy life.
© King Features Syndicate