Supplements can be powerful agents, and therefore should not be taken without consideration and consultation. It’s important to talk to your doctor about taking supplements, especially if:
• You take prescription drugs and you want to check potential interactions.
• You want to reduce or replace your need for prescription drugs.
• You are planning to have surgery, as certain supplements may increase the risk of bleeding or affect the response to anesthesia.
In addition, follow these tips when taking supplements:
• Read the label instructions and follow them carefully. Some suggest that they be taken with
food, while others note that they are suitable only for adults.
• Understand how many tablets must be taken each day. Some supplements claim on the label to fulfill 100 percent of your daily needs, but only if doses are taken two or three times a day (or even more).
• If you experience any health issues you think might be related to the supplement, stop taking it and contact your doctor
© 2013 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.