Question: Is it safe to have old mercury fillings removed?
Dr. Brownstein's Answer:
Mercury amalgam fillings are the dark, silver substance placed in a tooth after a cavity has been drilled out. They contain 50 percent mercury by weight.
Mercury is a poison that disrupts the functioning of hundreds of enzymes in the body. Furthermore, it is a known neurotoxin.
Over the last 20 years, I have tested every new patient for mercury and have found elevated levels in more than 60 percent.
The American Dental Association (ADA) has maintained that mercury fillings are safe. It is a ludicrous claim, and the ADA should be ashamed of making it. Luckily, mercury fillings can be removed safely if the dentist is properly trained. But I have seen patients become very ill when mercury fillings are improperly removed.
A dentist needs special training to conduct this procedure, as it is not taught in dental school. I recently lectured to and joined a progressive dental organization — the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology — that trains dentists how to safely remove amalgam fillings.
You can find a qualified dentist near you by visiting: www.iaomt.com.
© 2014 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.