Q: I have shingles and have never dealt with so much pain. What can you recommend to help me?
— Rev. William H., North Port, Fla.
A: Shingles is a nerve ganglion infection with a herpetic virus (chickenpox virus) that can cause severe pain. There are a number of treatments for the pain, including topical capisatin.
Studies have shown that high dose vitamin B12 (5,000 IU of methylcobalamin) a day reduces the pain. The other B vitamins — such as vitamin B1, riboflavin, pyridoxine (B6), folic acid, and pantothenic acid — also reduce the pain when given in high doses. Magnesium also reduces the pain, and DHA helps heal the damaged nerve.
Vitamin E (natural form) also reduces the pain. Buffered vitamin C helps keep the virus in a dormant state.
The risk of shingles has been attributed to the new chickenpox vaccine, which is a live virus. Older people who are around vaccinated children will often develop shingles. The virus activates when one’s immune system fails. Good nutrition prevents this, especially the carotenoids (beta-carotene, alpha-carotene, and canthaxanthin), which you get from eating vegetables.
Q: I have amalgam fillings.I also use a peroxide solution mouthwash. Are there any bad chemical reactions that can take place between mercury and peroxide?
— Nikki K., Oneida, Tenn.
A: Dental amalgam is a mixture of metals, with 50 percent being metallic mercury. A number of studies have shown that this mercury vaporizes in the mouth at normal body temperature, and is rapidly absorbed by the tissues in the mouth. It is even carried by olfactory and trigeminal nerves to the brain.
The highest concentration of this mercury in the brain is in the areas affected first by Alzheimer’s disease. Even more shocking are findings that chewing and eating or drinking hot foods or drinks dramatically increases brain and blood levels of mercury.
Any mouthwash that reacts chemically, such as hydrogen peroxide, will also increase mercury vapor release.
I feel that these types of mercury-containing fillings should be removed. This can be done safely only with special training, as by the IAOMT organization. Contact www.iaomt.com for a dentist near you who has been trained.
Q: How can I get my blood pressure down?
— James M., Camas, Wash.
A: Stress is a major reason for blood pressure elevation. But more common one is magnesium and potassium deficiency. The best way to reduce blood pressure is to exercise regularly, avoid excess red meat and eat five to 10 servings of fresh vegetables daily. Drink only distilled water, avoid mercury (dental fillings, flu vaccines and mercury-containing fish) and avoid sugar, processed carbohydrates, and potatoes.
Many cases of elevated blood pressure have been cured by diet alone. Hawthorn extract has been recognized by the American Heart Association for strengthening the heart and lowering elevated blood pressure. However it should not be mixed with blood pressure or heart medications.
© 2014 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.