More than eight in 10 Americans 100 years old and older are women, according to new Census Bureau information, CNSNews.com
During the five-year period covered in the Census Bureau's 2007-2011 report, 81 percent who have been alive a century or more were women, while only 19 percent were men.
The total number of centenarians, the Census Bureau reports, was 54,956, including 44,644 women and 10,312 men.
Other characteristics of century-club members:
- Very few — 4 percent — were divorced.
- Eighty-two percent were widowed.
- Six percent were still married.
- Fewer than 1 percent — 0.4 percent — were separated.
- Seven percent had never married.